It is quite normal to lose approximately 50-100 strands of hair a day. But more than the usual hair loss is a cause for worry! About one-third of women experience hair lossor alopecia at some time in their lives. Two-thirds of postmenopausal women suffer from hair thinning or bald spots. (Source: NCBI) Hair loss has a greater impact on women than on men. This is because it’s less socially acceptable for women. Alopecia severely affects a woman’s emotional well-being and quality of life. Without treatment, some women eventually develop widespread thinning. Hair loss in women should not be ignored . Let’s understand this better.
Symptoms of female pattern hair loss
Here are the common symptoms of female pattern hair loss:
- Severe hair loss
- Low density of hair
- Gradual hair thinning rather than an area of marked baldness
Causes of female pattern baldness
Causes for hair loss in women can be countless. Some of the major ones are as follows:
- Heredity: A family history of baldness can lead to hair loss in certain individuals.
- Stress: Physical or mental stress causes temporary hair loss. This is because the hair follicles enter the telogen phase prematurely. This stops hair growth and causes hair fall.
- Childbirth: After pregnancy, many women experience hair thinning. This is caused by a large number of hair follicles simultaneously entering the resting (telogen) phase.
- Menopause: After menopause, thinning of the hair is more pronounced. By the age of 50, more than 50% of women experience thinning hair. (Source: AARP)
- Deficiency in diet: Anaemia is common in women and can result is an iron deficiency that might cause hair loss in women. Some people who go on low protein diets or have severely abnormal eating habits, might develop protein deficiency. To help save protein, the hair shifts into the resting phase which results in hair loss. If this happens, massive amounts of hair shedding can occur 2-3 months later.
- Medical conditions: Both an overactive and an underactive thyroid can cause hair loss. Certain skin conditions such as lichen planus and psoriasis can also cause an increase in hair fall.
- Hair styling treatments: Many people change hairstyles by using chemical treatments. These include dyes, bleaches, straighteners, relaxers and permanent waves. Hair becomes weak and breaks if any of these chemicals are used too often. Hair can break if the solution is left on for a longer period.
Diagnosis of female pattern baldness
Female pattern hair loss is diagnosed by the taking a medical history and an examination of the scalp. The doctor will observe the pattern of hair loss, check for signs of inflammation or infection and investigate other possible causes of hair loss. These include hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism and iron deficiency.
Homeopathic treatment of female pattern hair loss
If you have hair loss or hair thinning, hair won’t grow until you address or treat the root cause of hair loss. And that’s why homeopathy has a good scope in treating female pattern hair loss, as it treats the root cause. Moreover, it can help in hair regrowth.Because it treats the root cause of hair loss, homeopathy provides long- term results. Recurrence rate is also low.
Homeopathic medicines stimulate the hair roots to promote hair regrowth.The medicines used in homeopathy are all of natural origin. And therefore, homeopathic medicines are safe for all age groups.The main advantage of homeopathic medicines for hair regrowth is the absence of side-effects.
One of the common homeopathic medicines for female pattern hair loss is Minoxidil. Research established that a 2% solution of minoxidil applied directly to the scalp can stimulate hair growth. (Source: Research Gate)
Silicea improves hair growth, strengthens hair and decreases dryness of hair. Kalium Carbonicum stops hair from thinning and falling and encourages hair growth. Lycopodium is prescribed for premature thinning of hair. Arnica helps to upsurge blood circulation and stimulate hair follicles. It is very effective in female pattern hair loss.
The right homeopathic medicines for female pattern baldness have to be chosen by a qualified and an experienced homeopathic doctor.
Duration of treatment
The primary improvement can be seen in 8-10 weeks of the treatment. The treatment course depends on the patient and varies from case to case.The duration of treatment depends on mainly the severity of hair fall and associated systemic illnesses, if any (hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism).
Visit your nearest hair clinic to consult homeopathic specialists. They will prescribe you with customized homeopathic medicines and provide long-term solutions.
- A diet high in protein and iron is recommended. Adequate quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables should be a part of daily diet.
- Try to get enough and regular sleep of a minimum of 8-10 hours a day.
- Exercise regularly for at least half an hour, thrice a week. This improves blood circulation, reduces stress and releases hormones in the body. This is good for your hair.
- Scalp massage can boost hair growth.