The promise of TRMNL Travel Pack is a single bag that works just as well for travel as it does for everyday usage. Imagine yourself taking a flight for your next nomad location and then continuing each day to your coworking space bag unchanged. An elusive dream for most as the requirements for everyday use are much different than travel, as sizing in particular can be a huge concern for those of us who must carry cameras for our work.
The TRMNL Travel Pack offering also includes a small crossbody bag, but the main focus here is the backpack. The clamshell design of the bag makes it really friendly for most types of packing cubes you might use. The interior includes various pockets that do seem well suited for travel and for modern office work. A standout feature is easily the separate shoe compartment which doubles as a dirty close area. There is a quick access pocket for your travel documents and passport, as well as lockable YKK zippers.
But does it live up to the hype?
Let’s start with the good:
- 1680D ballistic nylon exterior
- 420D ripstop nylon interior
- YKK zippers
- Clamshell design – opens like a suitcase for easy packing
- Expandable shoe pocket
- Laptop compartment, stores up to 17″ laptop
- Internal organization pockets
- Water-resistant materials
- Padded and breathable mesh shoulder straps and back panel for comfort
- Adjustable sternum strap and hip belt for heavier loads
- Foam lined exterior and internal back frame sheet for support and structure
- Better use of front pocket
- Lower price
- More reflective materials
Overall we see this is a good buy and a viable option for a travel/work bag. Fair warning though, it is currently a crowdfunding project on Kickstarter which means that there is some risk in delays or non-delivery. Invest at your own risk and be sure to do your due diligence.